2019: 243 posts.
- I remember crossing the Mississippi on one of these bridges — when it was two-way. They built a second span in the late 80s. It feels strange to be a driver on the bridge. I was only ever a passenger in a giant ~’73 Chevy Caprice. Pretty sure my parents bought that car from my Great Uncle Ray. Long time has passed but, partly, New Orleans still feels a little like home.
- Goodbye, Google Plus
Your shutdown email of the day: You’ve received this email because you have a consumer (personal) Google+ account or you manage a Google+ page. In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers’…
- CALL CHAR
100 CALL CLEAR 110 CALL CHAR(96, “FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF”) 120 CALL CHAR(42, “0F0F0F0F0F0F0F0F”) 130 CALL HCHAR(12,17,42) 140 CALL VCHAR(14,17,96) 150 FOR DELAY=1 TO 500 160 NEXT DELAY The first time I ever programmed it was from this page. And I made graphics in 8 by 8 squares on graph paper for months after that. Then I’d painstakingly…
- Website Design on These Days on KPBS. February 26, 2003.
When a person wanted to go into business back in the old days they’d find a spot on Main Street and hang out a shingle. These days you need your shingle in cyberspace. Modern customers expect to find credible companies and organizations on the Web.
- Adding tags to blog posts retroactively.
I’ve been reflecting my instagram posts back to this blog for a while now. One of the conventions there is mentioning people with the @mention and hashtagging posts with #hashtags. It has bothered me for a while that I didn’t ingest those tags and mentions in some manner. I left this lay for a long…
- Invader Zim
I had a lot of fun drawing this in black and white for Christmas last year. Part of a little Secret Santa thing. I can’t say I’m really fluent with Invader Zim but I think I did alright with it. Again, Procreate App is great. I posted the time lapse to Twitter: Process video (thanks…
- “Your plastic pal who’s fun to be with!”
Douglas Adams, Happy Birthday!
- Drawing in Starbucks, 2011
This is fun. In 2011 I did this drawing in a Starbucks. At the time I did it in Brushes App, on an iPod Touch. I love how primitive it is. Now that I’m drawing more regularly on the iPad it’s not great, but it certainly has an appeal. I was reminded of this by…
- Do you know what Lynx is?
Lynx is a text-based web browser, first released in 1992! In my mind there is no better window to what search engines see of your websites than running them in Lynx. Now the web is full of images and video and stunning in-page interactivity, but it’s really a text delivery system. On the left of…
- Voicemail Spam: From (602) 529-3518
http://artlung.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Voicemail_16025293518_20190315.mp3 From (602) 529-3518. The voice seems synthetic and there’s some static: …in your state. It’s very time sensitive as urgent that I do hear back from you before we proceed further with the suspension of your social and assets. Please press one to speak to the officer. I repeat, please press one to speak…
- Mar 17, 2019“Old man”
Last month I put this into my drafts on this blog: Dude slumped in mobile wheelchair playing Old Man by Neil young and carrying 4 pack of Starbucks drinks. What’s his story? I’ve been blogging here for a lot of years. I’m feeling the need to be more… creative. Am I the old man? Am…
- Prototyping at the Advanced Manufacturing Expo 2019
From February 7 this year: Very fun rough prototyping exercise at #AdvMfgExpo with @design_concepts & other attendees including @starblade68 ! Very fun #UX #industrialdesign #sketchnotes
- Wonderful talk by @CeliaHodent at @Qualcomm tonight hosted by @UXSpeakeasy. My #sketchnotes here attached!
Wonderful talk by @CeliaHodent at @Qualcomm tonight hosted by @UXSpeakeasy. My #sketchnotes here attached! pic.twitter.com/TMKhlZZo87 — Joe Crawford (@artlung) November 2, 2018
- My #sketchnotes: “Identifying & prioritizing issues w/yr #userinterface”—@arthur_ux @SDStartupWeek #sketchnote #ux
My #sketchnotes: "Identifying & prioritizing issues w/yr #userinterface"—@arthur_ux @SDStartupWeek #sketchnote #ux pic.twitter.com/4EypIUKfW9 — Joe Crawford (@artlung) June 21, 2017
- Love @ellengustafson speaking on creating a better food culture @SanDiego_CM1 #creativemornings #inspirational #hopeful #sketchnotes
Love @ellengustafson speaking on creating a better food culture @SanDiego_CM1 #creativemornings #inspirational #hopeful #sketchnotes pic.twitter.com/NUSEs312v3 — Joe Crawford (@artlung) August 25, 2017
- An inspiring morning at the downtown @sdpl with @SanDiego_CM1 — speaker @jaybuys of @ThisIsVisceral talking about balancing profit and purpose. #cmsandiego #CreativeMornings #SanDiego #sketchnotes
An inspiring morning at the downtown @sdpl with @SanDiego_CM1 — speaker @jaybuys of @ThisIsVisceral talking about balancing profit and purpose. #cmsandiego #CreativeMornings #SanDiego #sketchnotes pic.twitter.com/8C4R99G3l7 — Joe Crawford (@artlung) February 22, 2019
- Final #sketchnotes on http://vantynegroup.com/ presentation on Innovation and Design Thinking Talk #PCampSd18 @ProductCampSD
Final #sketchnotes on https://t.co/KXC09LOmyN presentation on Innovation and Design Thinking Talk #PCampSd18 @ProductCampSD pic.twitter.com/1qj6ylmkuh — Joe Crawford (@artlung) October 20, 2018 Having fun learning & sketchnoting Sean Van Tyne’s talk on Innovation and Design Thinking @ProductCampSD #PCampSD18 #sketchnotes pic.twitter.com/FtMrlPPRYp — Joe Crawford (@artlung) October 20, 2018
- Farewell Google+: “Save your Google+ content before March 31, 2019”
Today in Google shutdown notices: You’ve received this email because you have content in Google+ for your personal (consumer) account or a Google+ page you manage. This is a reminder that on April 2, 2019 we’re shutting down consumer Google+ and will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in…
- Jared Spool talk
On 29 January 2019 I saw Jared Spool talk on “The Evolution of a New UX Design Revolution” — it was pretty inspiring. I’m pretty sure my sketchnotes are not terribly comprehensible. Luckily there’s video of another time he gave the talk on video. Last time I saw @jmspool speak was at @uxcampdc in Washington…
- Serene & Green
Latest play with Procreate. A serene green alien I first drew decades ago. Still learning.
- Sister Helen Prejean
In February of 2018 I attended a talk given by Sister Helen Prejean at Cathedral Catholic High School. It was pretty great. What I took away from it was her extraordinary and matter-of-fact way of speaking about something very difficult. That vengeance is ultimately useless. Political truths about the misapplication of the death penalty on…
- Phone friends across from me on the NCTD Sprinter
So enjoyable to rework drawings from several years ago. Procreate, again.
- Scam from 805-723-2700
Latest scam phone call: Please try again. Hello. This is not a sales call. But a response to your request for information regarding a medical-grade brace to help you with chronic pain. Through new standards, you are now entitled to receive a medical-grade brace at no charge. For more information on how to receive your…
- Seems legit.
Attn: beneficiary. This is to inform you that United Nation gave me instruction to contact you regarding your Compensation of ATM Visa Card. After an extensive close door meeting between the Board of Directors of the UNITED NATIONS, THE WORLD BANK-GROUP AND INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND), it was resolved and agreed upon that this body “world…
- Oh right faxes are a thing!
I have an inbound fax service. And periodically, I do get faxes. They are useless. They are spam. Is that the word? Junk mail. Junk fax. They are somehow all three simultaneously. I kind of think it’s awesome that faxes still exist but also I’m sort of appalled. It would be a useful way to…
- Anyone can be a forensic photographic investigator.
We have at our fingertips research tools and technology that are stunning. This is of course not new. The future is rather well distributed to people with a certain amount of cashflow and some computer tools. I participate in a Facebook group about old things in San Diego. Someone posted this photo from 1965, asking…
- Mummy goes to Joanne
And here’s my process video – playback from Procreate: A redraw of an inktober drawing from 2015: Halloweentime is fabric store season.
- Kaiju vs Heroes sketchnotes
On September 15, 2018, I attended a panel discussion about Kaiju vs Heroes at the Japanese American National Museum in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles. The exhibition was terrific and inspiring. My enthusiasm for robots, specifically toy robots, and especially Japanese toy robots from the 1970s originated when I lived as an expatriate kid in…
- Eric Lawler has a website
It seems that Eric Lawler has created a website and plopped it at lawler.io. It’s rather good. Eric was my boss for a year and is quietly brilliant and thoughtful and is also a fellow San Diegan. Also, he put the whole thing on Github which is pretty cool. Also he’s using the venerable Tufte…
- Adobe Creative Types: I am the Adventurer.
Apparently. Do the quiz yourself: mycreativetype.com: There’s no telling where the impassioned creative quest and endless curiosity of the ADVENTURER may lead. Fueled by high energy levels and boundless enthusiasm, you’re easily inspired—and more than willing to follow your fascinations wherever they take you. ADVENTURER types are passionate, expressive, multi-talented creative spirits with a natural…
- Inspiring talk this morning by @rizzhel.javier this morning at @creativemornings_sd — my #sketchnotes on her passionate exhortation to “tell your story” and how she inspires others as an educator and an artist in #sandiego—her projects include @bridge_org @peopleandplacesproject @theajaproject @littlesaigonstories @reelvoices — so much excellent stuff I vibe with—multiple identities, being a military brat, having your dad be gone a lot, feeling connected to artifacts and photos and letters. I’m so glad I attended this morning. #representation #pinoy #tellyourstory
- Latest scam phone call: From 833-698-8561
Social Security number has been suspected… for fraudulent… activities. So once you get this message, kindly call us back as soon as possible on the same number, or press “1” to speak to our investigating officer. Thank you. Bzzt. …always vaguely entertaining.
- I was given this keychain made of heavy brass in 1987 for painting backdrops with @chrisgreazel for a Uní High fashion show. I remember Madrid and Barcelona I think? Chris would remember better. This weekend I’m crafting or trying to craft cosplay pieces and as usual making things comes with a lot of feelings of success and failure simultaneously. But it’s also fun to see the odd resources I have and memories to draw on that I have had success.
- RIP Richard Williams
Richard Williams has died. He is one of the people who has inspired me over the years. I have done rudimentary animation as part of my web work over the years. Some of that work was featured in a book on Macromedia Flash 2 a long time ago. I can’t claim the title of animator…
- Miracle Mile Q&A!
Miracle Mile is one of my favorite movies. It is downbeat, carries a message, has a relatable fellow who lives in Los Angeles, has a short love story, has a great rapprochement in it, tons of vivid couples. Vivid individual characters who read like real Angelenos to me. The argument about the best way to…
- Make XML Sitemaps Easily with PHP!
I am a huge fan of simple solutions for the web. So many solutions require tons of tooling or a giant content management system and those things are brittle over the long haul of time. XML Sitemaps help search engines, notably Google but other search engines too. In October 2009 I created this code to…
- Sep 12, 2019Bye JUMP Bikes. Uber: you still suck.
An email today from Uber! Oh, great. Dear Joe, Beginning Thursday, September 19th, JUMP bikes and scooters will no longer be available in San Diego, excluding a small fleet on two naval bases, Naval Base San Diego and Naval Base Point Loma. We understand this may have a huge impact on your day-to-day commuting and…
- Sep 17, 2019
- Sep 17, 2019
- Sep 17, 2019Sketch Party San Diego turned four years old. It was a packed session. It’s a beautiful event with amazing people. It’s an explosion of non-commercial community. Tonight I talked (uh… ranted) with my seatmate about drawing: drawing is communication. Drawing is for everyone. You may be ashamed of what you draw. The real shame is that our culture divides us into groups, one group is creative and is allowed to draw, the other is uncreative. No. Don’t believe that lie. Draw. Draw together. It’s beautiful. I❤️U @sketchpartysd!!! #sketchpartysd