August, 2021: 48 posts.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSFEOBdFt91/ via IFTTT
New Bot Day! Are droids free? D-O’s story in 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker forces us to ponder. D-O escapes service with a murderous Sith and joins the Rebel Alliance and is happy! It’s a better lot in life, but is the little robot free? What is freedom? Interrogating the ethics of a story is worthwhile.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSKoSSrBImk/ via IFTTT
Squinty lunch beach visit
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSQogmXLFEv/ via IFTTT
Post sunscreen reapplication, earlier
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSYItpmHKEv/ via IFTTT
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSZdftdnaaG/ via IFTTT
“Eyes on the Prize” is on HBO MAX. I got confused about why John Lewis in the mid 1980s was credited as “Seminary Student”—but it’s meant to describe him when he was working toward integrating lunch counters in 1960. His political career was in motion at the time of the making of the excellent documentary series.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSZl17QlpOj/ via IFTTT
New Bot Day! ASIMO (Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility) is a real robot built by Honda in 2000. Honda continued building ASIMO bots (the name inspired by Isaac Asimov) until 2018. My robot collection is fanciful, but robotics is real. Factual and fictional robots inspire me to ponder our past and our possible futures.
I attended a Beach Law zoom webinar put on by the San Diego Law Library this afternoon. I learned things. Lifeguard jurisdiction goes out way farther than I realized. 3 miles! Alcohol got banned at the beach in 2008. But apparently in the years after that there were “Floatopia” get togethers – people drinking out in and on the water in Mission Bay. This was a loophole because they were in the water, not “on the beach.” Thus was born clause H to San Diego Municipal Code 56.54:
Notwithstanding any other provision of section 56.54 and its appendices, and except as provided in section 56.54(g), it is unlawful for any bather to consume any alcoholic beverage within one marine league of any beach. However, subsection (h) shall not be construed to regulate the consumption of alcoholic beverages on any vessel.
The law is made of people, and people are quite creative about the ways they choose to be jerks.
I do not envy the job of lawyers.
And here’s the handy shortlist of laws regulating the beach as of today here in August 2021:
MISSION BAY PARKS AND COASTAL BEACH AREAS / RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Alcoholic beverages are PROHIBITED in beach and park areas.
- Glass bottles and glass containers are NOT allowed at any time in the beach and park area.
- Smoking is PROHIBITED in all beach and park areas within the City of San Diego.
- Fiesta Island, Dog Beach in Ocean Beach and Dusty Rhodes Park are designated dog areas that are leash-free.
- Dogs are NOT permitted within Mission Bay Park and the beach areas during:
November 1 to March 31st from 9am-4pm and April 1st to October 31st from 9am-6pm.
Dogs are allowed all other times but MUST be leashed at all times.
- Fires are permitted in City designated fire rings between 5am to 12midnight ONLY.
- Fires CANNOT exceed 12 inches above the fire ring.
- Clean dry wood or charcoal only. NO pallets, painted wood, greenery, nails or furniture are allowed in the fire rings.
- Camping and overnight sleeping are NOT permitted in the beach or park area.
- Parking spaces CANNOT be blocked off and/or saved; all parking spaces are first come first serve.
- Each vehicle is allowed only one stall and must fit within the stall at all times.
- All areas of the parks and beaches are first come first serve; roping off and/or barricading an area is NOT permitted. This includes ropes, cords, barriers, tents and other similar devices.
- All helium, blow up, metallic/mylar, water balloons and balloon arches are NOT allowed in the beach and park areas. (Fish and Wildlife protection)
- You are responsible to clean up after yourself. Please put your trash in the trash cans and/or the dumpsters within the park and beach area. Please do NOT litter.
- Vehicles are NOT allowed on lawns, beaches, and walkways at any time (this includes loading and unloading purposes).
- Please do NOT tie and/or post anything (ropes, banners, signs, piñatas, decorations, etc) to any City property (trees, plants, light posts, gazebos, sign posts, play apparatus, bars, etc)
- Amplified music is NOT permitted. Noise laws are strictly enforced. Your audio equipment may be impounded. Must have a permit.
- Household furniture (sofas, recliners, coffee tables, etc) are NOT permitted in the beach and park area.
- Camping Tents are NOT permitted in the beach or park area.
ALL CITABLE VIOLATIONS
PLEASE BE SAFE AND RESPONSIBLE!
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSf5tOFH3Id/ via IFTTT
Little wind; few, but great waves.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CShIVvXHFFo/ via IFTTT
a fine morning to ham it up
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CShj6IZJY1m/ via IFTTT
Supervision is here.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSn3z-rLDLI/ via IFTTT
Gwen @gwenthegoblin is highly expressive.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSqFKmxHtRn/ via IFTTT
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSrpnq5FXA6/ via IFTTT
California: vote “NO” on the recall.
Small shoutout; Perl and 1994 Yahoo!
Earlier this year I did a bit of research that contributed to this article about how the very first versions of Yahoo! were built:
1994: How Perl Became the Foundation of Yahoo on the excellent webdevelopmenthistory.com
Lost Keys Mission Beach: Found 19 August 2021
Did you lose these keys in Mission Beach between lifeguard towers 11 and 12? Found with the clicker sticking out of the sand along the shoreline. #lostkeys #sandiego
originally on Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSwpn6IHLbi/ via IFTTT
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSxm0UrlUlr/ via IFTTT
Beach visit 2 of 2. OB.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CSy799MHuF2/ via IFTTT
New Bot Day! Perserverence is a semiautonomous robotic rover! Launched by NASA July 2020; landed February 2021. “Percy” is a scientific explorer, testing the environment of Mars, seeking evidence of former microbial life, collecting rock and soil samples, and testing oxygen production to prep for potential future crewed missions. Go Percy Go!
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CS2jFT9hmkG/ via IFTTT
Del Mar today
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CS50NhyLwz_/ via IFTTT
Looking toward PB Point
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CS6-hOhHhdy/ via IFTTT
bird foot overcast
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CS7dPNMBGqN/ via IFTTT
Weekend session with @hellokellykuhl
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CS-8hEQrxue/ via IFTTT
Sun sets earlier every day now.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CTGxbYMrqvz/ via IFTTT
Sunset sand castle spied while walking.
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CTI9ZuJlbX1/ via IFTTT
Lee Scratch Perry, Rest in Peace
I was turned onto Dub music by the writing of William Gibson, whose spacefaring rastas lived in orbit and listened to the homemade reggae beats augmented with electronic loops and heavy slow vibes incessantly. And like so many other cultural artifacts, Lee Perry getting mentioned in a Beastie Boys song—“Sure Shot”—pushed me to seek it out. I picked up “Scratch Attack” in 94. Perry is an incredibly quirky intense singular weirdo and I love his music. Seek out “Disco Devil” or “Having a Party” and lay back and enjoy.
“Punk ya punk
Drink ya drink
Wink you wink and think you think
Drunk you drunk and punk you punk
Funk you funk and drunk you drunk
But when you drunk don’t drive!”
from Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CTQ8laoLP0D/ via IFTTT