What is a Web Integrator?
[Originally posted to the Webmonster Mailing List in September/1998]
- Joe Crawford.
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:39:21 -0700
From: Joe Crawford <email@example.com>
To: Web Design <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Re: What is a Web Integrator?
> I have been seeing the job title "Web Integrator" appearing
> lately. Also "Web Architect" which I guess is a little more
> self-explanatory. Does anyone know what "Web Integrator" means
> or what s/he does?
The definitions are fluid. Your mileage may vary.
I *selected* the title of Web Integrator for myself for my at
Why did I make up a title for myself based on having read it in
* HTML Programmer was too narrow - it's too limited and does
not include the entire scope of my skillset.
* Production Specialist / Production Staffer - I do a lot of
production (turning layouts and comps into finished web
pages) - but I do more than that - I advise the designers and
Project Managers what's doable and what's not doable.
* Web Animator - I like this one, but I'm not *enough* of an
animator to make it "fit like a glove" - but I can do some
work with Flash and Animated GIF Tools - I think Web
Integrator might imply some facility with Web graphics and
animation - which is what I have - some facility.
* Web Programmer - I have no CS degree, and putting
"Programmer" in my title is like calling a Volkswagen bug a
"Sports Car" - it may act and sorta look like it can race,
well (but not expert level) - and I can debug a perl cgi
script, or modify an existing script to do something cool -
but a programmer would have a more bird's eye view of all
this that I do.
So to me a web integrator entails:
* Expert facility with building web pages with raw HTML and
* Expert awareness of cross-platform issues with regards to
* Moderate skill with programming tools
* Competence with client-side scripting
* Ability to interact competently and coherently with
designers, product managers, programmers, end users and be
able to answer HTML and web related issues
* Competence with the common web graphics tools, an
understanding of graphics formats, animation tools, html
I often get questions like "how can we do a thing with a
scrolling banner?" or ... "can we do xyz in html? with style
sheets" ... or ... can abc browser do foo?" ---
What does all that add up to? I dunno - but it's what "Web
Integrator" means to me
(oh, and just for fun - here's my J/G sig line instead of my usual sig line)
// Web Integrator | Jamison/Gold Interactive
// Marina del Rey : CA : USA
*** List info, status, FAQ, etc.: <http://www.webmonster.net/lists/>