My father says of himself and my later mother: “We majored in each other in college.”
Some fun facts about them:
- He proposed to her during the movie Goldfinger at the drive-in.
- It was bold of her to visit him in Canada when she’d never been anywhere but Pasadena.
- He remembers movies they went to. In Canada they saw both In The Heat of the Night and Wait Until Dark in 1968.
- My grandfather’s family–paternal–family had been in San Diego a LONG TIME. Homes in Old Town. First restaurant in San Diego was the SILVA residence.
- My mother won a Portuguese scholarship at some point because she was presumed Portuguese.
- My father told me the radio was on constantly in the Silva house. Music played 24 hours a day.