Tags → bodysurfing
- I don’t think about my novelty among the surfers but I am. Two conversations today. (I ride in on the face of a wave, end up near a surfer). He asks: “how are you doing that?!” “What?” I reply. “I mean, what are you riding?” I hold up my handplanes: “handplanes—for bodysurfing.” “Cool! Thanks!” …(later)… A surfer turns around and starts his takeoff in front of me. I go to ground, going to the bottom—it’s in my interest to be well out of the way of large heavy fiberglass boards moving fast. When I come up, the surfer is still there. He missed his wave. “You scared me!” he exclaims, but friendly. “Sorry,” I say, sincerely. “I didn’t know what you were! I thought you were a sea lion!” “Aren’t we all though?” I reply. #bodysurfing #stoke #handplane
- 13-Oct-2022Los Angeles Times, August 23, 1988: Bodysurfing
BODY WAVES: Surfers Take to the Water Without Much Gear, Looking for a Free Ride: The style of bodysurfing is that there is no established style. “Bodysurfing is just you and the wave,” Budman, the lifeguard, said.
- 05-Aug-2022Quote of the Day
Paipo, Alaias and body surfing are all making a comeback, not that they really ever left. So long as wave riders forgo their leashes, waves will be waves and toss said riders ass over tin cup requiring a body surf to the beach to recover their surf craft. When “surfing” is not so narrowly defined…
- 10-Apr-2022New Blog Read: 23 Breaths
Any blog that has a post about the wonder of surf mats (rubber things you can ride in waves) is an instant read for me. Go 23 Breaths Go! … and again, surf mats
- 04-Jan-2022Bodysurfing Ultimate Media Guide by Spencer Dunlap
THE BODYSURFER’S ULTIMATE MEDIA GUIDE BY SPENCER DUNLAP MARCH 10, 2021 originally on shapedbywater.blog, archived. reposting here for my own personal use. perhaps you will find it useful too! I thoroughly enjoy writing about bodysurfing. Why? Not only do I love bodysurfing and hope to share my stoke with as many people as possible, but…
- 23-Nov-2021Today’s List of Bodysurfing Yoga Poses
DOWN DOG UP DOG PLANK FOUR-LIMBED STAFF POSE WARRIOR TWO PIGEON POSE EAGLE POSE SPLASH DOWN via seven yoga poses all bodysurfers need to know
- 29-Jun-2021Bodysurfing is good for you.
…and good for me, I know. In recent years, there has been a push from scientists around the world to understand the positive affect exposure to nature plays on the human psyche. In his best-selling book Blue Mind, marine biologist Wallace J. Nichols makes the case that being in and around water has therapeutic benefits…
- 29-Jun-2021The Art of Wave Riding sounds terrific
Via The Inertia: One has only to watch a swarm of bathers at any crowded beach in order to see that thousands of people are interested in the sport. Whenever a good wave for riding comes in, about half the people make an attempt to ride it, and only about one-tenth of one percent of…