Hi. I’m Joe. This is my personal website. It’s got lots of stuff!
I’ve written code for a living for a while. ArtLung.com itself runs on WordPress and it looks and works the way it does because I programmed the theme and underlying code. E.g: I wrote the WordPress shortcode that generates the next sentence: This blog has 8,616 posts, 2,380 comments, 5,957 embedded images, and 3,264 outbound links.
For more about me as a professional software developer I suggest you start at joecrawford dot com.
I live in San Diego, California. I like to bodysurf and swim in the ocean year-round. I wrote a comic about my enthusiastic return to swimming. My father told me when I was a teen to not just consume media, but also to make it. Personal publishing became that for me, and I’ve been blogging since 2001. I love to draw, sometimes at Sketch Party San Diego. I also create comics, prints and stickers.
I was an Army brat, I was also a Navy brat. So I’ve lived a lot of places. Mostly I’ve lived in California, San Diego, Alhambra, Los Angeles, Koreatown, Cheviot Hills, Moorpark, Simi Valley. I am the rare San Diegan who also loves Los Angeles. I lived in the Philippines as a kid which is how I came to love Voltes V and all robots. Also Virginia: Roanoke and Charlottesville. I have family there.
I’m twice divorced. The second was amicable. Since then I’m very lucky and happy to have met Kelly. We live together happily along with Gwen The Goblin.
I believe in the power of the web. That might sound strange or grandiose. But I do. The web has allowed me to stay in touch with people, learn, change my profession. It’s incredible the way it can connect people. In the last few years we’ve seen both the power and also the danger of connecting people without care and moderation. But I am hopeful that we can improve the web. That’s why I care about the indieweb movement. (see also #indieweb. I love groups and events that empower people. I founded WebSanDiego as a mailing list to do that, and it did. San Diego Bloggers likewise was something I put together and was great.
There’s a lot here. To get a good sense of what’s here you might start on the Tags page.
- My cousin @jonnysnow16 invited me for a session at Tourmaline Surf Park this afternoon and brought his GoPro—great beautiful night! Thanks for the action footage of me Cuz!
- Quote of the Day: Mark Cunningham on Bodysurfing
- The pier at Huntington this morning. Big #stoke
- Thumbnails for my multipage comics
- Foursquare / Swarm to my own site, #indieweb style
- Programming graphics on the TI-99/4a
- New Bot Day! Welcome Ghost Eyes! A katana-wielding robot created by @day_toner as a variant of his Master 9 Eyes. A lovely gift from @hellokellykuhl!
- New Bot Day! I acquired this push button puppet bot at a thrift mall in Chicago. Super charming artifact. Maybe from the 60s. 1900s, anyway. It says “I’m Robot No. 3991” made by the Kohner Brothers. Great boxy design with classic right angles, rivets. Welcome Robot!
- New Bot Day! Sox is a robot cat who first appeared in 2022’s Lightyear. Sox is a personal companion bot issued to Buzz by Star Command. Welcome Sox!
The places: To Top
- Raleigh, North Carolina (Ft. Bragg)
- San Diego, California (Skyline)
- Riverside, CA
- Echo Park, CA
- Alhambra, CA
- School: Park School
- Quezon City, Philippines
- School: La Salle Green Hills
- San Diego, CA (Skyline)
- School: Anderson Elementary School
- New Orleans, LA
- Gretna, LA
- School: Christ The King School
- San Diego, CA (Clairemont)
- San Diego, CA (Pacific Beach)
- School: University of San Diego High School
- Work: Citizen’s Western Bank
- Roanoke, Virginia
- School: Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley: College of Health Sciences
- Charlottesville, VA
- Work: University of Virginia Medical Center
- Buena Park, CA
- Work: Los Alamitos Medical Center
- Los Angeles, CA (Koreatown)
- Work: California Hospital Los Angeles
- School: UCLA Extension
- Los Angeles, CA (Cheviot Hills)
- Work: Hollywood (GTM)
- Work: Downtown (ARCO)
- Work: Marina Del Rey (Jamison/Gold)
- San Diego, CA (Serra Mesa)
- Work: Solana Beach (Edupoint)
- Work: Kearny Mesa (Bidland)
- Work: Gaslamp Quarter (AVENCOM)
- San Diego, CA (North Park)
- San Diego, CA (Sherman Heights)
- Work: Downtown (FinancialAid.com)
- School: San Diego City College
- Simi Valley, CA
- Moorpark, CA
- Work: Ojai, CA
- Work: Camarillo, CA
- Work: Los Angeles, CA
- Work: Hollywood, CA
- Work: Glendale, CA
- Roanoke, VA
- San Diego, CA (Fashion Valley)
- Work: Sorrento Valley, CA
- Work: Rancho Bernardo, CA
- Work: Miramar Ranch North, CA
- Work: Sorrento Valley, CA
- Work: Carlsbad, CA