This is the personal website of Joe Crawford.
You might know me from San Diego. Or Los Angeles, or Ventura County, or Virginia, or the Philippinessee also. Have we worked together–in tech or in a hospital when I was a respiratory therapist? Maybe we met at a drink-and-draw or sketch party? Perhaps you read a comic of mine in a Burn All Books anthology? Or maybe you know me from the beach, which I visit often, usually bodysurfing. Or a convention (was I sketchnoting? Comic-Con? XOXO? Long ago at a BarCamp? Maybe a long time ago you heard me on the radio.) Whatever reason, welcome! There’s more here than you can read in one sitting. Here’s even more about me:
I am a programmer by trade. Here’s some of my writing about programming. Some of my work is on GitHub. This website is a work in progress and features a hand-rolled WordPress theme. I use phpStorm and VSCode for most of my work. You can read more about the background of this site at the colophon. My resume is here.
- Programming graphics on the TI-99/4a
- I can never remember the name of GitPrime which is now Pluralsight Flow
- Hard Drive Cleaning: C++ Programming ’04
I collect toy robots.
- New Bot Day! Sox is a robot cat who first appeared in 2022’s Lightyear. Sox is a personal companion bot issued to Buzz by Star Command. Welcome Sox!
- New Bot Day! GC-09 Metal Robo 55 DynaRobo is a chogokin die-cast metal toy from 1983. This lovely and very special piece was a Christmas gift from Kelly. You will note I have a backlog on bots since moving in December. More bots ahoy!
- New Bot Day! Welcome Roll Bot, a robot toy for toddlers 1-1/2+ years old. It’s an activity toy with no backstory by Canadian company Madison Joseph Battat Limited. I think it’s c.1985 but might be off.
I make comics. One made it into a literary journal. Do you want to do an art trade or buy a Riso print of mine? I have stickers too.
- Drop it like it’s bivalve. #webcomic #gull #beach
- Literary Journal: Chiricú Journal
- I would prefer not to, aaugh! #cubecat #4thwall #webcomic #inktober #inktober2021 #thankyousparky
I love the ocean. I always have. I swim and bodysurf. #stoke
- Swimming, 2022. #stoke #swimming
- At Moonlight Beach earlier. Taken by my pal Margot visiting from NorCal.
- Bodysurfed at Del Mar with a bunch of other bodysurfers. Weird but very pleasant to be in a lineup with only other bodysurfers. So much skill on display. I’ve learned a lot; I have a lot to learn.
Lately I’ve been appalled by Twitter, but you can find me on Mastodon. And if you’re interested in a particular kind of pick-me-up check out my affirmations bot.
There’s thousands of posts here. Some were imported from blogger, some from del.icio.us, many from Instagram, some are just lists of links, some are longer reflections on life. If you’re determined to read you might start with what has been most commented upon. Here’s the the Colophon. Enjoy!
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or see more on Mastodon or instagram or other places.