You might know me from San Diego. Or Los Angeles, or Ventura County, or Virginia, or the Philippinessee also. Have we worked together–in tech or in a hospital when I was a respiratory therapist? Maybe we met at a drink-and-draw or sketch party? Perhaps you read a comic of mine in a Burn All Books anthology? Or maybe you know me from the beach, which I visit often. Or a convention (was I sketchnoting? Comic-Con? XOXO pre-pandemic? Long ago at a BarCamp?) Whatever reason, welcome! There’s more here than you can read in one sitting. Here’s even more about me:
I am a programmer by trade. Here’s some of my writing about programming. Some of my work is on GitHub. This website is a work in progress and features a hand-rolled WordPress theme. I use phpStorm and VSCode for most of my work. You can read more about the background of this site at the colophon. My resume is here.
- Spielberg’s Films by year of release vs year set
- Finding earworms in last.fm data with PHP
- I started blogging in late February 2001. Each line here represents a year of blogging, a line based on the count of posts per day with a bit of added noise added for aesthetic effect. I am fascinated by visualizations of data, and it was fun to toy with the aggregate counts of thousands of blog posts over time and see an image develop. It’s not what I expected it to look like as I exported data from my WordPress instance, but it definitely catches my eye. Inspired by Peter Saville’s iconic album cover for Joy Division’s album Unknown Pleasures. That artwork was based on data from a pulsar.
I collect toy robots.
- New Bot Day! “Blaster T-1000” is merchandise based on Terminator 2: Judgement Day. His whole torso can hinge forward to fire a missile? This 1991 toy robot makes no sense but is a great villain in an “all cops are bastards” way.
- New Bot Day! DaiDenzin (ダイデンジン or “Giant Electric Man” is from 1980 Super Sentai show Denshi Sentai Denjiman. It transforms from an airship into this terrific mecha. My first new robot for 2022! Happy New Year!
- New Bot Day! Getter Poseidon is a classic 1974 robot I have several other iterations of. I used to draw its design in my middle school notebooks. Things change, and also repeat.
I make comics. One made it into a literary journal. Do you want to do an art trade or buy a Riso print of mine? I have stickers too.
- Literary Journal: Chiricú Journal
- I would prefer not to, aaugh! #cubecat #4thwall #webcomic #inktober #inktober2021 #thankyousparky
- Desert Island Strike #cubecat #webcomic #3rdwall #cattober
I love the ocean. I always have. I swim and bodysurf. #stoke
- I fought my way past the breakers. Big current today, one day post Tonga. Part of any physical hobby is knowing when to stop. Life is so rich.
- I don’t know why the rescue boat was patrolling. Snagged a selfie while it was there. #stoke
- I had 247 swim sessions in 2021. Pool, Pacific, snorkeling, Atlantic, hotel, bodysurfing, lap. I don’t have a #top9, sorry. #stoke #swimming
There’s thousands of posts here. Some were imported from blogger, some from del.icio.us, many from Instagram, some are just lists of links, some are longer reflections on life. If you’re determined to read you might start with what has been most commented upon. Here’s the the Colophon. Enjoy!