Moms Rock (or rather, MY MOM ROCKS)
So today’s email from Mom says:
Goodmorning Sunshine and Happy Birthday! ! ! When you were born Dad had just left for war and now we are in another one.
Anyway, happy to hear that you are doing as well as expected. I offered up mass yesterday morning for a good operation and a very good recovery. Leah is taking excellent care of you, I can tell. I am most grateful to her.
Thanks Mom! ! ! Yeah. Things are good for me and my mouth. And I’m happy to have a new birthday gift of a whole new mouth. And I’ve gotten many messages of love and support from friends online and off. It feels good. And yes, I wish war were not happening. But this is life.
- my mouth was numb all day, i sounded ridiculous
- i’m trying to write down as much of this as possible for some kinda written piece
- i did drink some water early on, difficult
- i tried some mango juice – too tart
- 7up is just right as a beverage – always has been a comfort beverage when i’ve been ill
- vicodin, and taking it regularly is a good deal
- i had no trouble sleeping at all last night, which is great
- i can now use my mouth fine, and there’s no numbness involved — the doc told me there was risk of prolonged numbness in my jaw because apparently my lower jaw nerves are huge (prominent even on x-ray!) – but i have none of that
- i can talk fine now – probably about 6pm (surgery +9 hours) I could talk fine
- i had chocolate pudding and mashed bananas (with some kind of whey/protein thing from leah’s roommate mixed in, so i got *some* protein yesterday)
- over the course of the day the bleeding on the sockets cleared up – initially it was pretty heavy – not a pleasant thing to put gauze in, and have bright red blood on there – but by the end of the day, that was clear
- more taking it easy
- some comic books and books
- maybe some books on tape
- leah will be working, and i will be bedresting
- today’s big challenge will be dinner with mashed potatoes
- and did i mention taking it easy?
i feel like i’m making excellent progress. also, the oral surgeon did a followup phone call last night – i thought that was pretty cool. if anyone in the san diego area needs a recommendation for an oral surgeon, i got one.
And speaking of caregivers, yes, Leah has been wonderful. Mashed me up bananas. What more could a boy ask for?
and the diagnosis is: ONWARD