AFAR’s Our Favorite Independent Bookstores in California contains no love for San Diego despite us having some great bookstores. I would easily put Verbatim Books on this list and give Mysterious Galaxy strong consideration. But I’m nitpicking, it’s a fine list overall.
The list brings to mind my favorite bookstores of the 1990s in Los Angeles: Midnight Special in Santa Monica and Opamp Books, a tremendous technical bookstore that was in Hollywood.
Here’s their list:
- City Lights – San Francisco
- Moe’s Books – Berkeley
- Skylight Books – Los Angeles
- Green Apple Books – San Francisco
- Omnivore Books – San Francisco
- Kepler’s Books & Magazines – Menlo Park
- Mrs. Dalloway’s Literary & Garden Arts Bookstore – Berkeley
- The Last Bookstore – Los Angeles
- Black Bird Bookstore – San Francisco
- Dark Carnival – Berkeley
- Pages: A Bookstore – Manhattan Beach, California
I’ve only been to a third of these bookstores. When travel is safe, I’ll be hitting these. In the meantime, support your local bookstore!