In May I attended a fascinating presentation on adapting comics for blind and low vision readers. At one time I was quite attentive to a11y issues and since I’ve made a handful of comics it was of interest. I am nowhere near to attacking this need. But the resources they emailed I felt would be useful to share widely, so here they are.
Thank you again for attending our March program, “Adapting Comics for Blind & Low Vision Readers”!
If you want to watch again or share the program, you can do so here: Adapting Comics Panel Video.
If you can spare two minutes to share your experience and hopes for where this topic might go in the future, it will greatly assist our efforts! Take the event survey here.
To learn more about the event organizers:
- For more information about digital multimedia accessibility, follow the SF State VI Program on YouTube/Twitter/Instagram/YouTube: @VIProgramSFSU
- To learn more about Comics studies at SFSU, visit: https://twitter.com/StudiesComics
- To subscribe to more events hosted by the Longmore Institute on Disability, join the Longmore newsletter here or follow us on Twitter/Instagram @LongmoreInst or on Facebook.
The compiled list of resources our attendees offered during the webinar:
- Co-designing choice: objectivity, aesthetics and agency in audio-description
- American Council of the Blind’s Audio Description Project
- Center for the Study of Public Domain
- Shape Reader
- Alt Text as Poetry
- Catalonia in Venice: Blind-wiki
- LongmoreInstitute YouTube Channel
- Graphic Audio
- Webcomic: TLC
- LibriVox Volunteers
- Hit Record
- Daisy Consortium
- CELA Library
- National Network for Equitable Library Service
- Screen Readable Comics
- “Cripping” the Comic Con
- “It’s Complicated”: Negotiating Accessibility and (Mis)Representation in Image Descriptions of Race, Gender, and Disability
- Tall Print Braille
- Audio Comics Company
- NPR: NYC Mayor LaGuardia’s Legendary Radio Readings
- Summary of the Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
- Wolverine Podcast
- Comic Weekly Man
- Bendis’s scripts
- Citizen White Cane
- ComicsML – XML for digital comics