ArtLung Posts tagged with bruce-sterling (0)
- Sheldon Brown, Jasmina Tešanović, and Bruce Sterling (Sep 16, 2016)
Sheldon Brown, Jasmina Tešanović, and Bruce Sterling on Septemer 9, 2016 at the The Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination — a great, inspiring night of talking about robots, industrial design, activism, design fiction, the Maker movement, and much else. My brains percolating with ideas from last night. — at UCSD Atkinson Hall. Watch […]
- Quote of the Day: Bruce Sterling, in 1998 (Mar 02, 2012)
How will the digitalization and networking of information affect us and change people’s lives? Bruce Sterling: You’d do better seeking out the very few aspects of people’s lives that will remain unchanged by this. What should we watch out for in an information-rich, techo-Utopia? Bruce Sterling: Surveillance, spies, Mafias, stock market and currency bubbles; stalking, […]
- Bruce Sterling on Vernacular Video (Jan 27, 2011)
Closing Keynote: Vernacular Video by Bruce Sterling on how media morph over time. Chief insight I’ve read before but never heard: to look forward in time, you have to also look twice as far back into the past.
- Anecdote of the Day (Jan 09, 2011)
Fragment from Bruce Sterling: I once had a long bus-ride with a reeking, sweaty, jittery madman who had clearly once been a formidably intelligent and very well-read scholar. It seemed pretty clear to me that it had been a long time since anybody had been able to indulge him in a conversation. Although, he couldn’t […]
- Bruce Sterling Got Married (Dec 08, 2005)
There’s not much on the internets about the marriage of my hero, Bruce Sterling, author, blogger, design instructor, and speaker to one Jasmina Tesanovic. This is a peculiar bit of news I first heard word of on boingboing and confirmed the next day on his own blog. I read his blog, and his Viridian list, […]
- The Book Baton (Books of Importance To Me) (Jun 20, 2005)
1. Total Number of Books You Own Man. I’m not even sure. Before we moved I had many hundreds I think. We gave away to Goodwill many of our books. And how do I count graphic novels, of which I have many? Let’s say I have 200, plus minus. And since I’m married, do I […]
- Quorn = SCOP (Jan 10, 2004)
This stuff called quorn seems a lot like the “scop” (a commodity single cell protein food source found in novels of Bruce Sterling, particularly my favorite, Islands in the Net. And hey, here’s a site called Technovelgy.com: scop. Nifty. Including some other terms from Sterling works.
- Quote of the Day, and More Bruce Sterling (Jan 07, 2004)
From Bruce Sterling: When you get to the future there’s just more future ahead of it. From the audio interview at Massive Change. More: On the WELL and always on his blog.
- Bruce Sterling ArtLung Timeline (Nov 07, 2003)
1988: I attend a reading by William Gibson for Mona Lisa Overdrive. He recommends Bruce Sterling’s Islands In The Net as the work of a guy who “actually thinks about this stuff” [scene missing]… 1996: I mention with a laundry list 1998: I put him on my links page 1999: Viridian Couture Contest 1999: Heat […]
- what does war mean today? (Aug 19, 2002)
Well, humans are very aggressive and scrappy, and go to war at the drop of a hat. However, a standard land war is no longer going to work as it is no longer technically possible. There are no fronts, the commanding headquarters of generals can be smashed instantly and are number-one targets, supply lines can […]